The Via Negativa instructs us to let go and let be. Thus we learn how to move from no-action to action but an action born from a deep place, from the Source, from our Source, from love and gratitude (the Via Positiva), an action born therefore from non-action. From nothingness. (the Via Negativa) What other actions might we take?
- Deepen your own love of the Earth and her creatures by immersing yourself in the Via Positiva of existence, which for us humans is an earthly existence— and then listen to what she is telling you/us to do. Says Hildegard: “Holy persons draw to themselves all that is earthly.”
- Listen to the young. They are feeling most directly the unvarnished truth of our times. This is why they have come up with the Climate Strike idea set for Sept 20 and much else. Elders and youth must work together toward an common intergenerational vision and action.
- Support the young. Elders and youth are meant to be companions on the journey.
- Consider starting a “pod” of the Order of the Sacred Earth (OSE) or joining one.
About the OSE, David Korten writes:
“I promise to be the best lover and defender of Mother Earth that I can be.” Might this sacred pledge required of those who join the Order of the Sacred Earth save humanity and our Earth Mother? It is surely worth a try.
Individually, we are powerless against the forces of death wrought by human greed and violence in humanity’s ultimately self-destructive war against life. Only by acting together as lovers and defenders of our Earth mother will life prevail.
If you are drawn to this book, you likely know that our human relationship to Earth is in urgent need of serious healing. Eco-anxiety—a chronic fear of environmental doom—is surfacing as a reality-based, pervasive psychological malady.
I now commonly encounter people asking the ultimate question: Has the relationship between Earth and humans already passed beyond the point of no return?
Given rapidly growing climate instability, species extinction, and depletion of soils, fresh water, forests, and fisheries, there is good reason to believe it has. If we accept that conclusion, however, we turn our fear into a self-fulfilling prophecy. The more responsible choice is to act with urgency, wisdom, courage, and love as mystic warriors in the cause of life and living Earth.”*
* David Korten, “Foreward,” in Matthew Fox, Skylar Wilson, Jen Listug, The Order of the Sacred Earth: An Intergenerational Vision of Love and Action, vii.
See Matthew Fox, Skylar Wilson, Jen Listug, The Order of the Sacred Earth: An Intergenerational Vision of Love and Action
For Deeper Contemplation
Meditate again on the Via Positiva: Let it feed your concern and gratitude but also your courage to act.
Ask Mother Earth: What are you asking us to do, me to do?
By Matthew Fox, Skylar Wilson, and Jen Listug
“The Order of the Sacred Earth not only calls us home to our true nature as Earth, but also offers us invaluable guidance and company on the way.”
~~ Joanna Macy, environmental activist and author of Active Hope
“The creation of the Order of the Sacred Earth is a magnificent step forward for humanity.” ~~ Andrew Harvey, author of Way of Passion and The Hope.