The horror of January 6; the horror of the plot that set it in motion and was planned for months; the horror learning that a sitting president and his allies plotted it; the horror of subsequent lies about “voter fraud” that are upsetting proven ways of counting votes fairly; the horror of seeking to do away with women’s having right over their own bodies; the horror of the Ukrainian War; the horror of Climate Change: All speak to a need for Allies, Ancestors and Angels to implement Wisdom in the fact of all this Folly and Horror. All speak to the need for an awakened 7th chakra.
Part of awakening th 7th chakra as we have seen, is to address the Allies and the Ancestors who journey with us in developing and implementing a healthy 7th chakra. In doing so, they assist us in combatting the dangerous and shadow side of power and masculinity. Now let us consider the third group, the angels or spirits that accompany us on the journey as well.
Following are some teachings about angels that British biologist Rupert Sheldrake and myself came to in our dialogs on The Physics of Angels. When speaking ofAngels in the twenty-first century, it is important to recognize that what is happening today is not merely a revival of interest in angels.
The new cosmology raises new questions and greatly increases the scope for angelic action in the universe. We have today a great need to understand the role of consciousness beyond the human realms. These challenges require a revisioning of angelology, a new phase in our understanding of and relationship with the angelic realms.
We need to take stock of what we can learn from our tradition about angels. In our book on angels we dialogued about the teachings of Dionysius the Areopagite, Hildegard of Bingen, and St.Thomas Aquinas about angels. Some of the lessons we derived from these dialogues are the following:
- Angels are very numerous; they exist in astronomical numbers.
- There are many other kinds of consciousness in the cosmos besides human consciousness.
- Angels have been present from the origin of the universe.
- They exist in a hierarchic order of nested levels within levels.
- They are the governing intelligences of nature.
- They have a special relationship to light, fire, flames, and photons. There are astonishing parallels between Aquinas and Einstein with regard to the nature of angels and of photons; in their locomotion and mode of movement, their agelessness, and their being massless.
- They are musical in nature and work in harmonious relationship with one another.
- The majority are friendly but not all. Christ has power over the angels.
To be continued
Adapted from Matthew Fox and Rupert Sheldrake, The Physics of Angels, pp. 185f.
Also see Matthew Fox, Illuminations of Hildegard of Bingen, pp. 107ff.
To read the transcript of Matthew Fox’s video teaching, click HERE.
Banner Image: “All Beings Celebrate Creation” created by St. Hildegard of Bingen and found in her Scivias book.
Queries for Contemplation
What teachings about angels here strike you as most important? As most useful? As most interesting for our times?
The Physics of Angels: Exploring the Realm Where Science & Spirit Meet
By Matthew Fox and Rupert Sheldrake
When was the last time a scientist and a theologian discussed angels together? What are angels? Many people believe in angels, but few can define these enigmatic spirits. Now visionary theologian Matthew Fox and acclaimed biologist Rupert Sheldrake—pioneers in modern religious thinking and scientific theory—launch a groundbreaking exploration into the ancient concept of the angel and restore dignity, meaning, and joy to our time-honored belief in these heavenly beings.